Ostrover Synagogue Records
The founders of the Ostrover Beth Jacob Synagogue in Denver, Colorado hailed from Ostrov, Poland. The congregation was formally organized in 1908 as Congregation Ostrover Beth Jacob. Their first building was erected on Clay Street, but the synaogogue was later relocated to Federal Blvd. when the congregants outgrew their building and the city built a viaduct over the first building. The congregation remained at Federal Boulevard until 1949, when they relocated to a modest brick building on the northwest corner of 14th Ave. and Lowell Blvd. The congregation was one of the largest of over a dozen synagogues in the West Colfax east European immigrant Jewish neighborhood. When the congregation disbanded, it donated its remaining funds to Beth Israel Hospital and Home, where the chapel there was named Ostrover Beth Jacob in gratitude. The collection contains objects: (3) tefillin for the head;(2) tefillin for the hand; (1) tefillin scroll; (1) burgandy tefillin bag; (1) maroon tallit bag.
- circa 1955
- Congregation Ostrover Beth Jacob (Denver, Colo.) (Organization)
1.25 Linear Feet (flat box (19 x 15 x 3 inches))
Scope and Contents
- Description rules