Skip to main content

Jake's Auto Parts Images

 Collection
Identifier: B380
Jacob Abraham Hayutin was born in Denver in 1895 to Russian immigrant parents. After high school, Jake married Clara Cohen, and the couple had three children, Pearl, Maurice, and Joe. Before he was twenty, Jake Hayutin and a partner started the Auto Wrecking and Metal Company, known as Jake's Place. The first two locations of the store were on Broadway in downtown Denver. In 1928, Jake erected a building at 1004 Speer Boulevard, although he lost the building during the Great Depression. In the late 1930s, he opened another store with his son Maurice. The business began as a wrecking company, but expanded to sell new parts. In the 1950s, the product line expanded to custom items and hotrod equipment. Three branch stores and a muffler shop were added. Maurice Hayutin's wife Edith and their sons joined the business. The business was in the family from 1914 to 1981, when it was sold after Maurice Hayutin retired.

Dates

  • 1914-1975

Creator

Extent

40 items (Digital Container)