Skip to main content

Rose Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: B233
General Rose Memorial Hospital was founded in 1945. The hospital was named for General Maurice Rose, a Denver native, who had been killed in action the same year. General Rose was the highest ranking American officer killed in action in Europe and also the highest ranking Jewish officer in the Army. The hospital was intended to “serve the need of every creed.”

The records highlight fundraising related to the hospital foundation through photographs, programs and other event ephemera. Several recorded interviews and television programs as well as published texts provide and in-depth history of the organization. The collection includes ephemera, publications, scrapbooks, donation ledgers, photographs, newspaper clippings and audio-visual materials.

Dates

  • 1910-2013

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Extent

9.0 Linear Feet (7 containers) : 4 Standard record boxes, 2 print boxes and one wrapped object

Scope and Contents

The records highlight fundraising related to the hospital foundation through photographs, programs and other event ephemera. Several recorded interviews and television programs as well as published texts provide and in-depth history of the organization. The collection includes ephemera, publications, scrapbooks, donation ledgers, photographs, newspaper clippings and audio-visual materials.

Biographical / Historical

In 1944, Maurice Schwayder and a few other Jewish doctors and businessmen set out to fill Denver’s need for more hospital beds and a place for Jewish doctors to practice. The new hospital was meant to serve the entire community regardless of race, religion or origin. An intense campaign began to raise funds and peaked the following year when the decision was made to name the hospital after General Maurice Rose who had just been killed in World War II. General Rose was the highest ranking American officer killed in action in Europe and also the highest ranking Jewish officer in the Army. General Dwight D. Eisenhower laid the cornerstone for General Rose Memorial Hospital (now Rose Medial Center) on August 31, 1948. Rose continuously operated under the motto “Our standards are simply higher” for five decades. In 1995, Rose was acquired by a health care corporation and the philanthropic Rose Community Foundation was created to manage the proceeds of the sale.

Arrangement

The records are arrange in six series: 1. Publications, Programs and History 2. Events 3. Financial Records 4. Scrapbooks and Clippings 5. Audio/Visual 6. Photographs

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428