Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The history of the Saliman family in the Denver area dates to the immigration of the family patriarch Paul Michael Saliman (known as Michael.) As did most Jewish families, Michael and his wife Bessie Radetsky Saliman settled on the west side near Sloan's Lake in 1886. Paul Michael pushed a cart through the alleys of Denver collecting rags and junk to re-sell, finally developing a business of collecting, cleaning and recycling milk bottles for local dairies. Michael Saliman was a leader of west...
Dates: Other: 1874-2000
Overview The Hebrew Educational Alliance was founded in 1932 and became the largest congregation on Denver's west side. The Hebrew Educational Alliance was created as a result of the ''alliance'' between the Beth David Hebrew School Sisterhood and Brotherhood, and the Denver Hebrew Institute. The combined synagogue and Hebrew School was organized along Orthodox lines. On October 25, 1932, Rabbi Manuel Laderman arrived in Denver to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. In 1994,...
Overview Jack Greenwald was born June 14, 1928 in Columbus, Ohio, the youngest son of Rabbi Yekusiel Yehudah Greenwald (1888 - 1954). Rabbi Greenwald Rabbi Greenwald only knew German and had to learn Yiddish before he became rabbi of the Beth-Jacob Shul in Columbus, Ohio, a Yiddi. Jack Greenwald came to Denver, Colorado in 1946 and received his Bachelor of Science of Law, 1950, and his Juris Doctorate, 1952, both degrees from the University of Denver. Professionally, he specialized in the area of...
Dates: 1949 - 2012
Overview Rabbi Charles E. Hillel Kauvar was a rabbi for 69 years at the Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (The Great House of Learning) Synagogue in Denver, Colorado. He was also a professor of rabbinical literature at the University of Denver for 43 years and helped establish the Center for Judaic Studies at the University. After he retired from teaching, the University of Denver honored him by establishing a Kauvar Chair of Hebraic Studies. Rabbi Kauvar was born in Vilna, Lithuania in 1879 and began as rabbi...
Overview The Jewish community in Cheyenne, Wyoming, committed to building a new synagogue around 1950. The leaders of the community, including Bernard Leon Rayor, equally provided the funds for the building. When Mt. Sinai Congregation was completed, B.L. Rayor donated the ark curtains, which were left unused because his name was embroidered on them. The curtains were rediscovered in storage. Collection contains a red Bimah curtain and valance for the Ark Embroidered in gold threads and sequins on the...
Dates: between 1950-1951