Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Congregation Shearith Israel (Remnant of Israel), or the Tenth Street Shul as it was also known, was founded in 1899 as a Jewish orthodox synagogue. The young congregation bought a small stone church in Denver at the Tenth Street site in 1903 and remodeled the building to suit its needs as a synagogue. The last of the operating synagogues in the "Old Colfax" area of Denver, Shearith Israel closed its doors in 1958, having been largely used by Jewish businessmen working in the...
Abstract A crimson velvet brocade Torah mantle (cover). The mantle is trimmed with gold fringe, sequins and gold ribbon. There is a white and gold design on the front consisting of a crown, two lions, Hebrew letters standing for ''the crown of the Torah,'' the Ten Commandments in Hebrew and the date in Hebrew (5663). The mantle was used in the Congregation Shearith Israel (Tenth Street Shul) in Denver.
Dates: circa 1902