Congregation Shearith Israel (Tenth Street Shul) Records
Congregation Shearith Israel (Remnant of Israel), or the Tenth Street Shul as it was also known, was founded in 1899 as a Jewish orthodox synagogue. The young congregation bought a small stone church in Denver at the Tenth Street site in 1903 and remodeled the building to suit its needs as a synagogue. The last of the operating synagogues in the "Old Colfax" area of Denver, Shearith Israel closed its doors in 1958, having been largely used by Jewish businessmen working in the downtown area seeking a convenient synagogue for daily prayer services. The building, which was named an Historic Landmark in 1976, has been converted to the Emmanuel art gallery on the Auraria Campus. The collection includes documents, objects, and textiles, most notably an early Torah cover.
- Congregation Shearith Israel (Denver, Colo.) (Organization)
6 Linear Feet
Scope and Contents
- Description rules