Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center

 Organization

Sources

The Jewish Community Center of Denver opened in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athletic activities to local Jewish communities. The Rude family donated the land in Blumberg Park and the Guldman family donated the equipment. With the initiation of day camping and programs for young adults and seniors, the Guldman Center outgrew the building and moved to a large mansion at 1601 Irving Street in 1937. The Center served to bring cultural and educational opportunities to the Jewish community. There were English classes for immigrants as well as literary and musical programs. The Irving Street Center served as the west branch of the Jewish Community Center until 1967. The east branch opened in 1950 at the old B’nai B’rith building at Colfax and Williams. In 1962, a new Jewish Community Center opened on 10 acres of land at East Alameda and Dahlia Streets, the Center's current site. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center.

Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:

Box 14, 1971-1990

 File — Box: B088.01.0014
Identifier: B088.01.0014
Overview (27) File folders #291-318 include: correspondence, legal, print advertising material, JCC Capital Campaign.
Dates: 1971-1990

Edward Simon Papers

 Collection
Identifier: B329
Overview

Edward Elias Simon was a long-time board member and president of the Jewish Community Center (JCC) from 1967 to 1969. He initiated a development fund during his presidency of the JCC and the new facilities were dedicated in August of 1972. The collection includes material on the expansion project of the JCC, administrative materials, photographs, and newsclippings.

Dates: 1958-1982

Jewish Community Center Ranch Camp Records

 Collection
Identifier: B180
Overview Since 1953, the JCC Ranch Camp has been creating Jewish memories and friendships that last a lifetime. Located in Colorado’s magnificent Black Forest, the Ranch Camp provides children entering grades 2-11 with a truly western Jewish experience. Over the last 60 years of operation, JCC Ranch Camp has established a strong tradition of community that is built around and devoted to our campers. It is a place where life-long friendships are born, Jewish identities are discovered and nourished, and...
Dates: 1966-1986

Jewish Community Center Records

 Collection
Identifier: B179
Overview The Jewish Community Center originated in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athlectic activities to local Jewish communities. The Center operated in various locations until a new location was opened at East Alameda and Dahlia. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center. Collection contains programs, publications, events, ephemera, architectural plans and administrative papers from the Jewish Community...
Dates: 1934-1975

Mike Zelinger on Jewish Community Center, circa 1978

 Item
Identifier: B098.01.0001.00019
Overview Mike Zelinger talks about the startup of the community in Denver as well as the Jewish Community Center (JCC) starting in the early 1920s.
Dates: circa 1978

Oral History Interview with David Eskenazi, 1979 August 22

 Item
Identifier: B098.07.0008.00003
Overview Topics covered: Goals of the Jewish Community Center, functions of the center, relationship to other agencies, individual leaders of the center. Index in file: B098.18.0022.0010.
Dates: 1979 August 22

Oral History Interview with Edward Simon, 1979 July 16

 Item
Identifier: B098.07.0009.00004
Overview Topics Covered: Family background and growing up in Denver, Jewish community, Jewish Community Center involvement on board, as president, fundraising, functions of the Center.
Dates: 1979 July 16

Oral History Interview with Helen Ginsburg, 1979 July 19

 Item
Identifier: B098.07.0009.00007
Overview Topics Covered: Family background and growing up in Chicago; working at the Jewish Community Center, getting social work degree from DU and working for Red Cross, served on Board and as president of Center, fund raising and the camp.
Dates: 1979 July 19

Oral History Interview with Herman and Nancy Markowitz, 1979 May 28

 Item
Identifier: B098.07.0008.00001
Overview Topics covered: Early life, coming to Denver in 1958 to be the director of the JCC, there while new building was being built, left for Oakland in 1962 and returned to Denver on 1965, JCC Ranch summer camp, Center programs, Denver Jewish community, relationship with other organizations: National Council of Jewish Women, National Jewish Health, B'nai B'rith.
Dates: 1979 May 28