Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center
The Jewish Community Center of Denver opened in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athletic activities to local Jewish communities. The Rude family donated the land in Blumberg Park and the Guldman family donated the equipment. With the initiation of day camping and programs for young adults and seniors, the Guldman Center outgrew the building and moved to a large mansion at 1601 Irving Street in 1937. The Center served to bring cultural and educational opportunities to the Jewish community. There were English classes for immigrants as well as literary and musical programs. The Irving Street Center served as the west branch of the Jewish Community Center until 1967. The east branch opened in 1950 at the old B’nai B’rith building at Colfax and Williams. In 1962, a new Jewish Community Center opened on 10 acres of land at East Alameda and Dahlia Streets, the Center's current site. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Topics covered: Goals of the Jewish Community Center, functions of the center, relationship to other agencies, individual leaders of the center. Index in file: B098.18.0022.0010.
Dates: 1979 August 22
Overview Topics covered: Born in Poland, immigrated to US in 1920, first Lamar, CO then Pueblo to be closer to other Jews, came to Denver in 1930; Denver’s West Side and Hebrew Educational Alliance Synagogue activity; first member of JCC, then treasurer and president, growth of Center, camp, talks of other leaders of Center; active in other community groups.
Dates: 1980 May 2
Overview Family came to Denver when her Mother's brother got tuberculosis, early memories growing up in Denver, father was a salesman. Attended DU and belonged to Temple Emanuel. President of NCJW from 1958-1959, membership council and activities as president. Work with JCC.
Dates: 1978 June 2