Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Yale Drug. Yale Pharmacy

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1949 - late 1970s

Yale Drug was a Jewish-owned pharmacy on W. Alameda Ave. in Denver, CO. Founded by Charles Yale (born Charles Yallof) in 1949. In 1949, Charles bought the Lambach drugstore on W. Alameda Avenue. Shortly after that, his brother-in-law Sam Hayutin joined as his partner, although he was not a pharmacist.

Charles moved Yale Drug to 3000 W. Alameda after a Safeway store vacated. This greatly increased the size of their store. Over the years, Charles' and Sam's wives and all of their children worked at the store, which was open 7 days a week. In fact, in all the years the family owned the store, it was only closed once, for a half-day, for President John F. Kennedy's funeral. During the late 1950s a second store, Yale Pharmacy, was opened at 34th and Downing. Sam Hayutin and Richard Saliman were partners in that venture. The store was later sold to Sam's son, Arnold Hayutin, in the 1960s. Charles purchased Sam's interest in Yale Drug shortly thereafter. He sold the store to longtime employee Chris Christensen in 1967. Yale Drug remained in business, serving Southwest Denver, until the late 1970s.