Laying Cornerstone of the New York Ladies Auxiliary Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1908
A group of people attend a ceremony for the laying of a cornerstone at the New York Ladies Auxiliary building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) on April 19, 1908. The building was a round, red brick building that housed the less contagious tuberculosis (TB) patients. Rabbi C. E. Kauvar, in a top hat, stands on one side of the cornerstone and Abraham Judelovitz, in coveralls, stands on the other side of the cornerstone. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz with no hat, stands to Rabbi Kauvar's right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanitorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Rights and Usage Statement
Copyright restrictions may apply. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
1 items (photograph)
Scope and Contents
From the Series: This series contains a photo album, photographs, bulletin pages, drawings, lithographs, and contact sheets of the campus and buildings, patients and family, staff and volunteers, auxiliaries and conventions, and activities connected with the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society and the AMC Cancer Research Center.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
7 x 10 inches black and white
Donated by A.M.C. Cancer Research Center as part of the J.C.R.S. Records.
Title supplied by archivist.
Inscription and Marks
On back of photograph: ''Laying the cornerstone of the round red brick building for less contagious TB patients. Funds from the Ladies Auxiliary of New York, 1908.''
- Colfax Avenue (Colo.)
- Cornerstone laying
- Denver (Colo.)
- Edgewater (Colo.)
- Hillkowitz, Philip, 1873-1948
- Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.)
- Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.). New York Ladies' Auxiliary
- Judelovitz, Abrahm (Avram), 1866-1942
- Kauvar, C. E. Hillel, Rabbi, 1879-1971
- From the Collection: Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.) (Organization)