Skip to main content

Portrait of Dr. Robert Levy, between 1930-1939

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00010

Overview

Formal portrait of Dr. Robert Levy. Dr. Robert Levy came to Denver in 1879 as a student at the University of Denver. He started practicing medicine in Denver in 1884 after training at Bellevue Hospital. He was an organizer, in 1890, of the Jewish Hospital Association of Denver, which later became National Jewish Hospital. Dr. Levy was a longtime board member of National Jewish and was chairman of the Medical Advisory Board. He was also instrumental in the organization of Denver Clinical Pathological Assn. and, in 1887, of Gross Medical College, which later merged into DU's medical school. Dr. Levy's specialty was ear, nose and throat, and during World War I he was in charge of that specialty at Fort Lewis. He practiced medicine in Denver for 60 years, and was honored by a testimonial dinner at National Jewish Hospital in 1944. He was also on the board of Temple Emanuel, and served as president of the Denver and Colorado medical societies.

Dates

  • between 1930-1939

Digital Repository

Portrait of Dr. Robert Levy

Inscription and Marks

Handwritten on the back of the photograph: ''Dr. Robert Levy, donor: Mrs. Sam Rose.''

Rights and Usage Statement

Copyright restrictions may apply. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.

Extent

2 Photographic Prints (photograph) : good, black and white ; 5 x 7 inches

Scope and Contents

From the Collection: The collection contains materials intentionally assembled by the Ira M. and Peryle Hayutin Beck Memorial Archives of Jews in the Rocky Mountain region. The bulk of the photographs are from or related to various towns in Colorado, but the collection also contains photographs from other states in the western United States and other countries. There are some 19th century photograph types represented in the collection, including albumen prints, daguerrotypes, tintypes, post cards, colorized prints, cabinet cards, and cartes-de-visite.

Provenance

Donated by Mirian Levy Rose, daughter of Dr. Robert Levy, December 25, 1976.

Inscription and Marks

Handwritten on the back of the photograph: ''Dr. Robert Levy, donor: Mrs. Sam Rose.''

General

Title supplied by archivist.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428