Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 26 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Rabbi Charles E. Hillel Kauvar was a rabbi for 69 years at the Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (The Great House of Learning) Synagogue in Denver, Colorado. He was also a professor of rabbinical literature at the University of Denver for 43 years and helped establish the Center for Judaic Studies at the University. After he retired from teaching, the University of Denver honored him by establishing a Kauvar Chair of Hebraic Studies. Rabbi Kauvar was born in Vilna, Lithuania in 1879 and began as rabbi...
Overview Rabbi Elias Hillkowitz was considered the dean of Denver's early west-side Orthodox Jewish rabbis. He was an early supporter of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS), where his son, Dr. Philip Hillkowitz, served as president from 1904 to 1948. Rabbi Hillkowitz suggested the JCRS motto from the Talmud: ''He who saves one life saves the world.''
Dates: circa 1910
Overview Twenty-three-year-old Rabbi Manuel Laderman (tallest man in the group) surrounded by delegates from the Hebrew Educational Alliance upon his arrival at Union Station, Denver, Colorado in 1932. He graduated from the Hebrew Theological College in Illinois and had just been ordained when he came to Denver to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. He served as rabbi at the Orthodox synagogue until 1979. He was born August 25, 1909 and died in Denver on November 27, 1989.
Dates: 1932 October 25
Overview Rabbi Yizhak Aisik Braude (1885-1932) was born in Kovno, Lithuania, and traveled in the United States from 1910-1913, before returning to Lithuania to become a Rabbi. Braude and his family were expelled from Lithuania (under Russian control) in 1914, and Braude immigrated to Denver, Colorado, via Seoul, Korea, in 1916. His wife and family joined him in Denver in 1920. Braude worked as an orthodox rabbi for a number of congregations in Denver, many in the West Colfax area. He lived in Dayton,...
Dates: 1985 November
Overview The Jewish community in Cheyenne, Wyoming, committed to building a new synagogue around 1950. The leaders of the community, including Bernard Leon Rayor, equally provided the funds for the building. When Mt. Sinai Congregation was completed, B.L. Rayor donated the ark curtains, which were left unused because his name was embroidered on them. The curtains were rediscovered in storage. Collection contains a red Bimah curtain and valance for the Ark Embroidered in gold threads and sequins on the...
Dates: between 1950-1951
Overview One folder containing various notices and speeches concerning Jack Greenwald and his second Bar Mitzvah when he was eighty-three. There are three speeches Jack Greenwald honoring his father Rabbi Harav Yekusiel Yehuda Greenwald. Jack Greenwald's first speech was in 2003 when he was about to be seventy-three. Attached to the speech is All The Laws of Mourning written by Rabbi Greenwald in 1947. The second speech was the observation of the 50th Yahrzheit (memorial) of Rabbi Greenwald, and the...