Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927

 Person

A Jewish Immigrant from Tsarist Russia, Spivak pursued medicine out of a desire to be of service to humanity. In 1896, when his wife Jennie showed signs of incipient tuberculosis, Spivak moved their young family to Denver to take advantage of Colorado’s reputation as the World’s Sanatorium. Spivak's concern for the indignant consumptives he saw flooding into the state led to his founding the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society (JCRS), a sanatorium dedicated to the care of all, even those in the advanced stages of TB. Spivak also ensured that the primarily Eastern European Jewish patients were cared for in an environment that respected their culture- unlike many such institutions, the JCRS featured a kosher kitchen and observed the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Dr. Spivak was also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Denver from 1896-1901.

Citation

Leḳsiḳon fun der nayer Yidisher liṭeraṭur, 1965 (Spiṿaḳ, Ḥayim; d. 10-16-1927; b. as Ḥayim-Ḥayḳl Spiṿaḳoṿsḳi; d. in Denver, Colorado) Yehoash. Idish ṿerṭerbukh, 1926: t.p. (Dr. Ḥayim Spiṿaḳ) t.p. verso (Dr. C. D. Spivak [in rom.]) Who's who in American Jewry, 1926 (Spivak, Charles; physician, author; b. 12-25-1861, Krementschug, Russia).

Found in 36 Collections and/or Records:

Bed Dedication Ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00038
Overview A bed dedication ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak is pictured in the center, to the left of the man holding a plaque and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz is to the right of the man holding the plaque. The dedication appears to be conducted on a stage. A large American flag is hung up behind the group of people surrounding the bed. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with...
Dates: between 1904-1928

Cleveland Ladies Auxiliary Bed Dedication, after 1917

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0035.00017
Overview A bed dedication ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The Cleveland Ladies Auxiliary donated the bed pictured. Dr. Charles Spivak stands in the back to the right and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands in back center. An unidentified woman holds a plaque that reads: ''Cleveland Ladies Auxiliary, J.C.R.S., 1917.'' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading...
Dates: after 1917

Cornerstone of New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1914

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00006
Overview A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...
Dates: circa 1914

Dinner Event, between 1900-1920

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00043
Overview An unknown dinner event. Tables are set up with food and drink and there are a large number of people throughout the room. Dr. C. D. Spivak stands in the back left of center and Louis Robinson stands in back fourth from right.
Dates: between 1900-1920

Dr. and Mrs. Isidor Bronfin with Dr. Spivak, between 1904-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00002
Overview Dr. Isidor Bronfin and his wife with Dr. Charles Spivak and a group of unidentified people. Dr. Bronfin and his wife are on the left and Dr. Spivak is holding his hat near the center of the photograph. Mr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Isidor Bronfin was a physician and tuberculosis specialist with the JCRS. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support...
Dates: between 1904-1927

Dr. Charles D. Spivak of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1915-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00052
Overview Dr. Charles D. Spivak standing on the front steps of a building while smoking a cigarette. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) and served as Medical Director and Superintendent until his death in 1927. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside...
Dates: between 1915-1927

Dr. Charles Spivak and Dr. Isidor Bronfin, between 1920-1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00031
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak holding the door open for Dr. Isidore Bronfin. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Bronfin served as superintendent of the JCRS and National Jewish Hospital. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: between 1920-1928

Dr. Charles Spivak at His Desk With Dictaphone, between 1915-1923

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00030
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak sits at his desk and speaks into a dictaphone. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: between 1915-1923

Dr. Charles Spivak at JCRS, circa 1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00067
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak, founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) stands with his hands in his pockets. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside Denver.
Dates: circa 1928

Dr. Charles Spivak of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1920-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00001
Overview Portrait of Dr. Charles Spivak. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue, just outside of Denver. Dr. Spivak also served as executive secretary from 1904 until his death in 1929.
Dates: between 1920-1927