Cornerstone of New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1914
A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
- circa 1914
Rights and Usage Statement
Copyright restrictions may apply. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
2 items (photograph)
Scope and Contents
From the Collection: The collection contains materials intentionally assembled by the Ira M. and Peryle Hayutin Beck Memorial Archives of Jews in the Rocky Mountain region. The bulk of the photographs are from or related to various towns in Colorado, but the collection also contains photographs from other states in the western United States.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Good 8 x 10 inches black and white
Accession # 1271, Donated by AMC Cancer Research Center as part of the JCRS Records.
Title supplied by archivist.
Inscription and Marks
Handwritten on envelope: ''#478 JCRS Auxiliary.'' Handwritten on back of photograph: ''Dedication of NY Bldg, Dr. Hillkowitz, RAB.''
- Colfax Avenue (Colo.)
- Denver (Colo.)
- Edgewater (Colo.)
- Hillkowitz, Philip, 1873-1948
- Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.)
- Kauvar, C. E. Hillel, Rabbi, 1879-1971
- Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927
- West Colfax (Denver, Colo.)
- From the Collection: University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies. Ira M. Beck Memorial Archives (Beck Archives) (Organization)