Skip to main content

Groundbreaking of Original Rotunda Hospital at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1908

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00045

Abstract

Groundbreaking ceremony of the original rotunda hospital on the campus of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Later this building became the National Council of Auxiliaries office building. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is pictured with the trowel and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz is pictured to his left. Builder Abraham Judelowitz is standing to the right and wearing overalls. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

Dates

  • 1908

Digital Repository

Groundbreaking of Original Rotunda Hospital at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society

Inscription and Marks

Handwritten on envelope: ''#453 JCRS Buildings, #453 JCRS Physical Plant''. On back of photograph: ''#453 Dr. Kauvar w/ Trowel; 1908 Dr. Hillkowitz to left 1908: Groundbreaking of original rotunda hospital - currently the National Council of Auxiliaries office building. Builder Avram Judelowitz in overalls''.

Rights and Usage Statement

Copyright not evaluated: The copyright and related rights status of this Item has not been evaluated. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. See: https://rightsstatements.org/page/CNE/1.0/?language=en

Extent

1 Photographic Prints (photograph) : good, black and white ; 8 x 10 inches

Scope and Contents

From the Collection: The collection contains materials intentionally assembled by the Ira M. and Peryle Hayutin Beck Memorial Archives of Jews in the Rocky Mountain region. The bulk of the photographs are from or related to various towns in Colorado, but the collection also contains photographs from other states in the western United States and other countries. There are some 19th century photograph types represented in the collection, including albumen prints, daguerrotypes, tintypes, post cards, colorized prints, cabinet cards, and cartes-de-visite.

Provenance

Accession # 1271, Donated by AMC Cancer Research Center as part of the JCRS Records.

Inscription and Marks

Handwritten on envelope: ''#453 JCRS Buildings, #453 JCRS Physical Plant''. On back of photograph: ''#453 Dr. Kauvar w/ Trowel; 1908 Dr. Hillkowitz to left 1908: Groundbreaking of original rotunda hospital - currently the National Council of Auxiliaries office building. Builder Avram Judelowitz in overalls''.

General

Title supplied by archivist.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428