Hebrew Educational Alliance (Denver, Colo.)
found: NUCMC data from Judah L. Magnes Museum for Celia Ragooland scrapbook, 1928-1932 (Denver Hebrew Educational Alliance; collection contains a scrapbook with a poster about the dedication of the Denver Hebrew Educational Alliance)
found: Hebrew Educational Alliance WWW, Jan. 24, 2007 (on June 17, 1920, the Denver Hebrew Institute [no publs. in LC database] was incorp. with the mission to provide a Jewish education for the growing numbers of Jewish youth living in the are of West Colfax. In the fall of 1926, through the efforts of Mrs. N.H. Chernyk and Mrs. S. Friedman, the Beth David Sisterhood [no publs. in LC database] was founded; by 1928, the Sisterhood had succeeded in interesting a number of local men in their efforts to create new facilities for Jewish education and the Beth David Brotherhood [no publs. in LC database] was formed; in Nov. 1928, the Beth David group and the Denver Hebrew Institute, wanting to work together to encourage Jewish education, formed an alliance; the newly created Hebrew Educational Alliance, with William Yoelin serving as it first president, acquired a gift of ten lots; on Oct. 25, 1932, Rabbi Manuel Laderman arrived to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance; congregation grew and flourished; third synagogue planned and completed; variants: Congregation Hebrew Educational Alliance; HEA)
Found in 123 Collections and/or Records:
Topics covered: Born in Poland, immigrated to US in 1920, first Lamar, CO then Pueblo to be closer to other Jews, came to Denver in 1930; Denver’s West Side and Hebrew Educational Alliance Synagogue activity; first member of JCC, then treasurer and president, growth of Center, camp, talks of other leaders of Center; active in other community groups.
Wolfe Karsh discusses his family's emigration from Poland to Denver, Colorado when he was three years old. He describes Jewish life in Denver in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including the Jewish religious community in the early 20th century. He talks about Shul Baer Milstein and the Hebrew Educational Alliance. He also discusses his interest in singing, his various jobs in Denver, his experience in the U.S. Navy, and his experience as a farmer and cattle rancher.
Contains a congratulatory letter for the choice of Rabbi Laderman from The Hebrew Theological College to the Hebrew Educational Alliance, copies of "A Love-Letter to My Congregation," a letter to Arnold H. Cook (President of HEA) and a letter from Rabbi Manuel Laderman to Alliance members announcing his retirement, and a flyer announcing a program announcing the posthumous publication of "Letters of Faith."
Twenty-three-year-old Rabbi Manuel Laderman (tallest man in the group) surrounded by delegates from the Hebrew Educational Alliance upon his arrival at Union Station, Denver, Colorado in 1932. He graduated from the Hebrew Theological College in Illinois and had just been ordained when he came to Denver to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. He served as rabbi at the Orthodox synagogue until 1979. He was born August 25, 1909 and died in Denver on November 27, 1989.
Samuel Froimovitz was very active in Denver's Orthodox Jewish community. He was elected as president of the Denver Mizrachi Organization (year unknown), and served on the organization's National Council from 1939-1941. Froimovitz was the first president of the Denver Hebrew Educational Alliance and sat on its executive board until 1933.
This folder contains two sermons. The first is titled, "Hear, O Israel," and was delivered February 25, 1938. The second is titled, "What Hope in the New Year," and was delivered on the first day of Rosh HaShanah (September 26), 1938.
This folder contains two sermons. The first is titled, "Are we on Trial," and was delivered on September 15, 1939 (the second day of Rosh HaShanah)--just 12 days after England entered World War II. The second sermon is titled, "In G-d we Trust," and was delivered on September 23 at the Yizkor service during Yom Kippur.
This folder contains two sermons that were delivered on the first and second days of Rosh HaShanah. The first sermon is titled, "Is There Room for Optimism," and was delivered on October 3, 1940. The second sermon is titled, "And Where is G-d," and was delivered one day later on October 4.